Ausmini
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Spacers
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

Spacers are legal in Sa. I have my own on the Steroidmuncher to fit 13" mags and wheels. You do get hubs with the spacers made on them but you can make your own... Just balance them. I know a friend that is busy building a 1600 Turbocharged Toyota clubman Mini with a custom T4 turbo. He is using The normal mini hubs but is running 15" mags. So his spacers are emormous.....He did reenforce everything and i think he added some extra stuff to the wheels....

Wicket!.... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:02 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Leyland74 is referring to the other SA - South Australia......

No, unfortunately, spacers are totally ILLEGAL in South Austraila. By spacers, i mean ANYTHING that is between your wheel and drum, it doesnt matter if its screwed on or not, its still illegal.

Widening your track by more than 26mm from standard is also illegal.

You can run the stepped drums, but these will alter your wheel track. If the new track measurement is more than 26mm wider than the factory specification for your particular model of car, your car will be illegal.

Basically, If you modify something, keep the original standard parts. IF you get defected, you can put all the standard gear back on, get it checked, then put all the good stuff back on after. Thats what everyone else in SA does :wink:

*note - this information is CORRECT. I have spent the last 3 night going thru official paperwork from Transport SA regarding vehicle modification. If in doubt, have a look yourself........ http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_transport/light_vehicles_pdfs/Info_bulletin_3.pdf (right click, save target as)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:13 am 
1098cc
1098cc

You could try going to a tyre shop as they also make the spacers which use nuts to bolt on to your original stud pattern and then the wheels screws on to the new spacer. Sorry,I am not very good at explaining, but all the tyres shops seem to make them here in Vic. I hadn't heard of them before and someone told me about them. I just walked into several tyre shops and they all knew what I was talking about. They make them up to whatever thickness you need.

mutant mini 1380cc '73 UK imp-Chroma Lusion-leather interior-8 x 300W Diamond Audio Dual Voice Coil 8" subs, Phoenix Gold 4 chnl amp, Pioneer 7550 DVD, 2x Phoenix Gold A1.800d MonoBlock Amp, Focal Utopia splits, 14" chrome rims 195/40/14 tyres

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:46 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Spacers are illegal in NZ as well, just for the record. Although Porsches run huge spacers apparently and they're not as they're standard. I believe spaced drums are fine, actually counting on it as I'm fitting them to my Clubman.

NZ has a similar rule about the increase in track - over 25mm is illlegal, but a lot of the reason for running spacers is to fit Cooper-offset wheels to a normal mini and therefore no (or neglible) increase in track.

Stud extensions just look like a dumb idea, unless you chain-gang 10 together to get a 2-foot increase in track so you can drive on railway lines...

Also for the record, these are the justly-malighned web-type spacers with stud extensions:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:05 am 
848cc
848cc

OMG, :shock:
I was not aware that spacers were illegal until I read this topic, I will now be on the lookout for spacer drums or wheels with the correct offset.

Thanks Guys