Ausmini
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: WIRING GETTING HOT
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:43 am 
998cc
998cc

I understand your reluctance to burn the wiring further.
But in order to locate the fault you will need to isolate parts and loom wiring down to where the fault is. Given that it is still unclear whether it is load related or if it is a short or faulty connections, you do not have a starting point as you do not know what to look for.
One long winded and labour intense method would be to disconnect every single connection, lamp, connector switches, stalks etc on the lighting circuit including the rear lights and any indicator lamps and test for shorts. However the fact that there may still be a lamp you have missed will make any tests pointless. Also if a short to earth is the problem it may not show until voltage is applied so isolation testing will be a wild goose chase.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:54 pm 
848cc
848cc

cooperess wrote:
I have decided that if I keep testing with the new loom connected, just to see if the wires get hot, I will wreck the new loom. There must be another way of doing these tests, so the loom is not wrecked, if hasn't been wrecked already.

Put a light bulb (such as a test light) in series with one of the battery leads. The bulb should illuminate when current is drawn as well as limiting the current as to not melt the wiring.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:06 pm 
848cc
848cc

I know you have already done a lot of fault finding, electrics can be super frustrating. It will be rewarding when you crack it. Just a thought.

When i was having headlight issues i ended up running a completely independent test loom from the switch to the lights - i just took a roll of spare wire and had the wires running out the drivers door. Just so i could isolate the wiring loom from any issues. You coul establish if its the switch or lamps and not worry about frying your loom at least.

In my case it was my switch. I had power and continuity for correct operation - but as soon as it drew any amps for the headlights the switch was dropping its bundle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:14 pm 
998cc
998cc

cooperess wrote:
I have decided that if I keep testing with the new loom connected, just to see if the wires get hot, I will wreck the new loom. There must be another way of doing these tests, so the loom is not wrecked, if hasn't been wrecked already.

If you can make some educated guesses using your experience of what was happening during your tests you could narrow it down a bit. For instance was it getting hot with only side lights or only with low beam or only high beam. That may allow you to isolate and trace that circuit first which may show some evidence.
You could manually and phisically trace the wires in the loom.
Also if you could try and draw the wiring of the swirch and stalk as you said you had rewired from the floor sw8tch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:39 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hello.
I use 68 + 86auto's light bulb method when testing old valve and early transistor radios and thought that it would work on the Mini so I tried it with a 21Watt/6Watt stop/tail light bulb (replacing the negative earth strap wire as it was easier to get to than the positive wire). They were off when the light switch was off and on with the parkers or headlights turned on BUT the car lights were so dim that I could not see them.
SO. I tried a simple voltage drop test. With the negative of the multimeter on a grounded bolt and the positive on the light fuse in the engine bay it measured, (over less than one minute);
No load 12.25 volts (old but good battery not used for a week)
Parkers on 12.15 volts
Low beam on 11.9 volts
High Beam on 11.8 volts
Cooperess. You should get roughly these RELATIVE figures if your wiring is correct. If your results are drastically different, let us know (the actual numbers). Less than 11 volts implies a wiring short to earth.
Good Luck Dave2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:46 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Checking wiring I have found 3 earth wires but sure where they attach. They are terminated with a ring, so I guess it screws or bolt attaches to the body. This is a VIN wiring loom but I can't find where it is supposed to attach to. Can anyone help me with attaching point.
Attachment:
Mini Instrument Panel Earth Wires DSCF2249.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

They go to the speedo.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:26 pm 
998cc
998cc

Those wires are attached to the same stud on the back of the speedo where the voltage stabiliser is secured.
Didn't VINWire give you a cheat's sheet for the terminations?
There, I've broken my NY resolution.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

I think on some speedos there might have been a dedicated earth screw/stud

Too many minis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:18 pm 
998cc
998cc

68+86auto wrote:
I think on some speedos there might have been a dedicated earth screw/stud

I have never seen one. It has always been the same stud as the VS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:39 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Maybe my problem with head light earthing wires & switch getting hot is the old fashioned wiring bullet connectors from the head lights is not making a good enough connection with the new VIN wiring connectors.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:31 am 
848cc
848cc

Cooperess
A good switch will only get hot if too much current flows. Poor connectors elsewhere in the wiring might get warm or even hot, but will reduce the current and so should not effect the switch temperature.
Try the voltage tests at the fuse box. They will show if the currents through the wiring are roughly correct and give your Ausmini helpers a chance to solve your problem.
Dave D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:13 am 
998cc
998cc

cooperess wrote:
Maybe my problem with head light earthing wires & switch getting hot is the old fashioned wiring bullet connectors from the head lights is not making a good enough connection with the new VIN wiring connectors.

I wouldn't say that the bullet connectors are old fashioned. You can buy the same type connector from the likes of Narva. You just have to make sure the male goes all the way into the female. I use a small flat bladed screwdriver the ensure it has gone full depth. That always ensure a good connection for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:36 am 
848cc
848cc

Not that I think it is your issue but are the bullets a tight fit? Good ones basically require a tool to install.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:31 am 
1098cc
1098cc

DavidE & 68+86auto Thinking I will need to change connectors for spades rather than the bullets. The bullets sold nowadays are far too long and can't fit end to end without them hanging out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next