Ausmini
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 125  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:17 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Okay, just quickly......

Installed the BAFMIC tonight (Big Ass Front Mount Intercooler). Once the front spoiler was mounted back over the top, I could get an idea of the aperture that was needed for the FMIC inlet. The FMIC needs to be done first, as its the biggest component and needs the most space, with everything made to fit in around it.

The FMIC installed in its position, making sure its vertical:

Its big, probably too big, lets hope the TD04L can fill it without too much lag:

The inlet tract for the FMIC measures 440mm x 300mm which is the core dimensions. This is a big chunk out of the spoiler. You can see from the next pic how large a space it is.

The position if the FMIC is shown marked up, The 125mm driving lights are shown also marked up. Image

I dont know, I liked the lights closer to the FMIC aperture, what does everyone think??

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Hey, i'm not sure that FMIC is big enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:36 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

The problem is there is only one way to find out... And that front mount is massive, i think its goin to look a little odd with such a big chunk taken out of the front bar. Prob will lag a little but it'll still be there at the end...? Hopefuly you dont loose any ooomph through it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:56 pm 
Forum Graffiti

Crank up the boost... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:05 pm 
ET 13.457 seconds , OH YEAH !!!!

crap that's huuuuge :lol:

my vote is for the spotties closer ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:22 pm 
ausmini mod
ausmini mod

I played with your pics... I like :D

Peter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:54 pm 
998cc
998cc

crap thats a huge cooler... i would have went with a wider and slimer one but im sure you will manage to make it look like an absolute animal in the end :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:16 am 
998cc
998cc

From a functional point of view...

I think that size intercooler maybe a little oversized for what the Starlet engine requires. I have a 600x300mm (only 30% bigger than yours) on my 300+hp (at the wheels) R33 Skyline and my temperature gauges indicate it is more than sufficient for cooling inlet temps. You could easily get away with a smaller intercooler core eg ~450x200mm on the Cat, as long the core thickness is 75mm. The smaller height would also promote more even flow of air stream through the intercooler. Large height intercoolers with inlet/outlet piping at the very top aren't always the best for getting even flow of intake air through the bottom of the core. Think about the Mitsubishi Evos - they have the inlet/outlet near the centre of the core for a reason. I will also mention the extra lag with an intercooler like that on a small engine size.

If you had a water spray (& controller) for it, a smaller core would achieve very efficient heatsoaking/heat releasing results.

I make intercooler spray controller kits and have done some testing on intercooler sizing vs water sprays - so that's my 2c opinion :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:04 am 
Give Ash some flowers Nick .

That's going to look sweet. It'll have fantastic road presence!

My vote is for the spotties under the normal lights - to make it look pretty wide at night. My 2c. Either way I think it'll look sic 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:50 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Thanks for the feedback Mearcat. Yes, I would regard the IC as a bit overkill for the application, but it was a case of 'line of best fit' in terms of cooling capacity, cost, fitment and aesthetic appeal. To this end, the current size and shape of the IC made the most logical choice.

To be truthful, its the surface area that is more important for cooling ability (heat transfer), not thickness (as each successive core is less efficient at shedding heat load due to the air being pre-loaded with the rejected heat from the previous core - and its exponential the more cores you have!) I couldn't get an IC with the same, or similar surface area that was thinner (50mm core), so this was the best choice.

At least its not as big as Benny's, his was actually larger in area and 90mm thick! His little T25 was a bit laggy according to JC and the IC kind of exacerbated this! Because I am running at TD04L (at boost pressures between 12 and 16 psi at sea level) rather than the standard CT9 (which boost at pressures between 6 and 9 psi at sea level), I would think that the larger IC volume would be offset by larger compressed air volumes in terms of lag!

Quite correct. I am running a FMIC water spray with the pump and reservoir located in the boot. The pump is a flojet capable of 150psi and about 1.5 litres a minute. It wont flow at this rate of course due to the restriction of the 4 x brass nozzles. Expect flow rates of 0.5-0.4 litres per minute at about 80psi. The reservoir is about 15 litres. Kerr Engineering is designing and building the controller with custom made VFD display.

Gordo - yep, proof is in the pudding. Some of the Starlet boys have run similar sized FMIC's with the TD04L and the lag was about the same as standard CT9

Josh - me too!

Pete - Excellent - can you indent the FMIC say about 50mm, do the spotties and move them closer to the FMIC but on the same vertical plane (wish I had photoshop!)

Thanks all for the replies.
Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:27 pm 
ausmini mod
ausmini mod

Archangel007 wrote:
Pete - Excellent - can you indent the FMIC say about 50mm, do the spotties and move them closer to the FMIC but on the same vertical plane (wish I had photoshop!)

Thanks all for the replies.
Cheers,
Tricky

Yes, soon as the kids go to bed... ;) Then im all yours honey

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:48 pm 
ausmini mod
ausmini mod

Had 5 min spare...

Something like this??

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:46 pm 
998cc
998cc

Archangel007 wrote:
I dont know, I liked the lights closer to the FMIC aperture, what does everyone think??
Tricky

Just be aware of the large areas of blank front bar on the ends if you have the lights too close together.
You don't want to crowd the centre and it to look plain under the lights.

You could have some sort of brake ducting towards the ends of the bar to even it up though. 8)
Such as: (MS Paint - sorry no photoshop) :oops:

Toyota 4EFTE Powered Minivan.
102 Kw @ The Front Wheels....Oh What a Feeling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:59 pm 
998cc
998cc

pristic wrote:
Had 5 min spare...

Something like this??

Peter

that kinda reminds me of a moke!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:40 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Guys,

Ruzic Engineering of Time Attack track day fame produces several automotive devices. One of these is called the Thermo Pro or something similar.

Last I heard of the specs it had air, water temp and boost sensors and used a programmable map to drive a davies craig electric water pump and two individual thermo fans as well as a water sprayer. With the inputs and outputs available it can control an engine cooling circuit and an A2A IC or a A2W IC only.

The unit looks very similar to the popular product, the 4WD torque split controller. See link.
http://www.timeattack.com.au/4wd_controller.php

M

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 125  Next