Ausmini
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:39 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi folks,
I am replacing the clutch slave cylinder and the flexible hose from the firewall to the slave, got the new parts, but it is really challenging to remove the old ones!

I managed to remove the old slave cylinder (which had seized completely), but I'm struggling a bit to find the room to get that pesky hose off.

What is the best tool to get in there, or how much other stuff will I need to remove from around the location to get enough access to swing a ratchet or spanner? I'm thinking its a 5/8ths open spanner or ring spanner (gotta go hunting through my dad's old tools to find either of those).

I would prefer not to mess around with the brake lines etc, or to remove too much from the engine to get it done.

Thanks for your advice!

Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 am 
998cc
998cc

natmo wrote:
Hi folks,
I am replacing the clutch slave cylinder and the flexible hose from the firewall to the slave, got the new parts, but it is really challenging to remove the old ones!

I managed to remove the old slave cylinder (which had seized completely), but I'm struggling a bit to find the room to get that pesky hose off.

What is the best tool to get in there, or how much other stuff will I need to remove from around the location to get enough access to swing a ratchet or spanner? I'm thinking its a 5/8ths open spanner or ring spanner (gotta go hunting through my dad's old tools to find either of those).

I would prefer not to mess around with the brake lines etc, or to remove too much from the engine to get it done.

Thanks for your advice!

Andrew

Work from the top.

Remove the rigid tube from the master cylinder to the connection at the firewall. Now look at your new flexible hose. You'll see that one end has a compound fixing; one female thread and one male thread. That male thread is what the big nut is screwed onto, and holds the hose in place. You should be able to get a ring spanner or a socket onto this big nut now, and use a pair of multi-grips or Vice grips onto the hex section of the current flexible hose.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:02 am 
848cc
848cc

Yeah I pinched the steel part of the hose and got the top nut with a ratchet spanner

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If I'm carrying on like a pork-chop, I'm having a great time.

If I go very quiet there's a very good chance I broke something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

DavidE wrote:
Work from the top.

Remove the rigid tube from the master cylinder to the connection at the firewall. Now look at your new flexible hose. You'll see that one end has a compound fixing; one female thread and one male thread. That male thread is what the big nut is screwed onto, and holds the hose in place. You should be able to get a ring spanner or a socket onto this big nut now, and use a pair of multi-grips or Vice grips onto the hex section of the current flexible hose.

I'll give that a shot - though I don't think the new flexible hose has a compound fitting. The firewall end of it has a longer thread, such that it would not screw all the way into the slave cylinder for example. Twice as long, but no female thread.

I'll check it all out on the car in the morning when its light.

Thanks!