Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:07 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

So I have a car that has been sitting for an unknown period of time.
I don't have the key for the car, as the person it was bought from had lost it, so I want to disconnect all the gear and just try and crank it over from a battery so see if it fires. I know all the other precautionary measures when started an engine like this, just not how to wire it up.

So basically, I want to floor start the motor, but it's in a car, not the floor.

What do I need to wire up, to where?

I have done it before, with a few sets of alligator clips and wires and a jumper pack, but cannot remember what went where (Except the earth clamp went, well anywhere on the motor)

If someone could help me out with a diagram of what goes where, from where, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:57 pm 
Tomboss Breweros

Easy, just disconnect the wires from the + side of the coil, then jump power to it from the main battery terminal on the solenoid, then you wil have spark. If theres fuel in the carby it will start.

Just for the sake of it i would pull the small wiers from the alternator, i doubt it would cause any issues but i personally would get it out of the loop.

If you want to watch for oil pressure connect a test light between the oil pressure switch and the main battery cable, once running it should go out as quick as the light on the dash would.

kimini wrote:
:mrgreen: It's the boobs and testosterone that make this place fun-ner :lol: !!

Jimmyinamini wrote:
It's not nice to throw spank on the floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:01 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Problem is the loom is hacked about, so I want just do it with alligator clips and what not because I don't expect much from the loom.

But I will try what you said anyway!
Hopefully the loom is good enough to handle that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:42 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Pull the spark plugs out first. Take the rocker cover off and with a good battery just let the motor spin (without wires to the coil) until you see oil being pumped to the rocker gear. Once you see that you know it is pumping oil.

Then you can connect the electrics and start it. Have somebody holding the engine as it will tip over under the rotation.

Also make sure there is an exhaust manifold on it. You dont want the tactical response group and an SAS group angrily arriving.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:43 pm 
998cc
998cc

Work backwards.

Spark plugs get zap from dizzy. Dizzy gets electricity from the coil, coil gets electricity from the ignition switch (or a relay switched by the ignition switch).

Provide power to the coil, then work on the starter. If the fuel pump is electric, run it off the wire you put to the + side of the coil.

The solenoid can be shorted out with a spanner across the two big poles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:53 pm 
998cc
998cc

Tombo wrote:

Just for the sake of it i would pull the small wiers from the alternator, i doubt it would cause any issues but i personally would get it out of the loop.

Isn't this the way to kill your alternator?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:36 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

bill.b wrote:
Tombo wrote:

Yep.

I would leave the alternator hooked up and leave the battery hooked up.
Just the jump wire from the solenoid to the coil.
A second jump wire from the live side of the solenoid to the small terminal on the side of the solenoid (white wire red trace) with will activate the starter.
Or you could short the dipstick over the solenoid posts to start it. (well that is how the crooks do it!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:57 pm 
998cc
998cc

Morris 1100 wrote:
bill.b wrote:
Tombo wrote:

Yep.

I would leave the alternator hooked up and leave the battery hooked up.
Just the jump wire from the solenoid to the coil.
A second jump wire from the live side of the solenoid to the small terminal on the side of the solenoid (white wire red trace) with will activate the starter.
Or you could short the dipstick over the solenoid posts to start it. (well that is how the crooks do it!)

Side Convo: How does this kill alternators? Are we talking about the small wire to the dashlight? I drove mine around without this connected for a few days and now my alternator is kaput. What's the science? Presumably if the bulb blows (cutting the circuit in the same way as disconnecting the wire) there's a point before the alternator dies?

I guess this confirms that I need to take my alternator to the auto electrician for fixing.