Ausmini
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

Mini folk at home in Canada keep asking about the Mini trip in Australia. They are perhaps not unnaturally wary of taking the chance of buying and prepping a Mini from across the Big pond.

Recently, a younger American from Washington State asked for advice as he was planning a trip to Melbourne and hoping to do some touring in a Mini.

My advice, start early in your quest - use AUSMINI, get in touch with the local Mini Club, hopefully you will make helpful contacts and can find an affordable Mini. Thereafter it will need a check over and servicing to meet the demands to be placed upon it.

In my case, the seller, Andrew W. was extraordinary in assisting me in getting ROO ready to roll. He did virtually all the mechanical servicing for me with parts that I paid for and a few he installed on his own. So too was Tony B., whose electrical servicing results were faultless over 27,000kms./17,000 miles.

Currently, ROO is getting some attention from Ken N., who had looked over ROO and helped after our Prologue last August. ROO will be ready for us next year when we return.

There are of course a great many knowledgeable Mini people in the community and on this Board (like Kevin G.) who could help and a number did - notably Dave K., Graham R., Grieg M., Matt R. as well as the gang at 'The Swamp' on the Sunshine Coast.

Looking forward to returning to Queensland in October next year to deal with the unfinished business of Tasmania.

In the meantime, if a North American Mini owner pops up and solicits advice, I hope they will be received as constructively as I was in late 2010. In fact, it was that sole response from John K. with MOCQ that got it all started for us and, as they say, the rest is history.

Cheers!

Rick/Hunter2

(1st day of spring yesterday...and it hailed and snowed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:44 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I saw roo high on the hoist today :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:34 pm 
998cc
998cc

I am sure that there are many Ausmini members out there that would be more than willing to help out your younger American contact if a request was made. In your case Rick I was familiar with your previous travels via the Minimania forum site and admired your sense of adventure. Having said that, all people are different. Some relish the community aspect and the mantra of helping someone with a similar interest. Some don't.

I had a trip planned to New York in 2009 and contacted several mini car clubs in New York State as there was a classic car festival (including a mini club) on at the time I was going to be there. I was hoping someone would get back to me . . . but no. I have been in New Zealand twice in the last six months and both times posted on Ausmini to opportunity meet up with fellow mini owners but no response.

So it depends on each individual. It was good that John K. from Brisbane did get back to you and your trip turned out to be so successful. You are no doubt well aware of our North American friend who asked for contacts and assistance on a recent visit and despite genuine offers of help, there was no response - not even a return email!

Certainly I think that there are members on this forum that would be more than happy to assist fellow overseas mini tragics fulfil there sense of adventure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:05 am 
848cc
848cc

Ah, ROO is getting attention...I know the Clubman Window Van waited while race customers got their far more urgent needs addressed.

As for communicating across the miles and oceans, I must admit that my early efforts went without a response - probably because I started too soon and expressed an unrealistic interest in spending money on someone's not so pristine Mini in return for borrowing it. "Right sir, I think I'll delete that one."

However, on a last gasp try and being more realistic (I'd buy a Mini), things did get moving. Probably also true that I got vetted from afar via Mini Mania board, Vancouver Mini Club website etc., though some like you Dave may have noticed our previous wanderings in Canada and USA.

What is lasting however are the contacts made and events shared. We recall them fondly and look forward to returning a favour here in British Columbia.

No yet locked down, but a friend from Scotland may fly over in June to fire up his Mini Van and head to Arizona and Mini Meet West to be held in the Prescott Vally south of Flagstaff. He and I met as strangers on the internet after I noticed his intended travels - ship Van from UK to Nova Scotia, drive across Canada etc.

He ended up my designated driver after heart surgery (he arrived two weeks after I got home). His adventures included crossing the continent, driving up to the Canadian Arctic on the Dempster Hwy. then heading for Alaska and north to Prudhoe Bay. Happy to help him in a small way and to have his help before he flew back to the UK.

All of this got started with a 15 year old son seeing a Mini with a For Sale sign and uttering the words, "I'd love to have a little car like that."

The result a great many new friends, domestic and international travel...and...oh, I have to go now and look at two mid-70s Minis for sale.