Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: cooper s story mark2man
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:01 am 
848cc
848cc

hi my name is Darren my user name is mark2man.my first mini 1978 clubman s 2nd mini 1970 mark 2 morris cooper s .still own the cooper 28 years later. stripped cooper down to bare shell work carried out so far, bare metal respray 2 pack in factory colours cadet blue crystal white all suspension sub frames powder coated ,changed to dry suspension, hi lo' gaz shocks camber adjusters over hauled original brakes full weather proof seals, still has the correct motor and gearbox,body has ,,minimal rust car still has all of its factory panels have brand new short motor still in the box which I brought 10 years ago in 2015 I had my arms and legs amputated to save my life because I contracted a rare blood infection spent 12 months in hospital my uncle has offered to help put my cooper back together so hopefully all goes well so I will be searching on ausmini for parts and information to help with my long term project.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:11 am 
848cc
848cc

Mate you're a bloody inspiration! All the best of luck in the world to you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:43 am 
Yay For Hay!

welcome! puts the rest of us to shame when we decide not to work on our cars because it's too hot in the garage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

thanks for your kind words guys I'm getting my prosthetic legs soon and then be trained how to walk again. will make it lot easier to walk around the cooper then it would be in a wheelchair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:55 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

wow.. All the best for the restoration!! Progress pics would be fantastic as well

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:05 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Hi Darren - welcome to Ausmini. You and your Uncle will find lots of assistance from the Ausmini community should you need it, so please just ask. I'm sure there'll be a lot of interest in your project to get the Cooper S back together and on the road so feel free to post updates, especially with pictures, as that seems to get people excited and motivated.

Suggest you add your location to your profile so it displays each time you post. You can do it from the User Control Panel link at top right. That way others who live nearby will be more willing to volunteer their services should you need it.

For someone in your situation let me say your post above is well constructed and easy to read. What method/technique do you use to type?

Doug

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:22 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Doug!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:12 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi doug thankyou for kind words and support.my right hand has 1 finger and thumb missing my other 3 are curled and fused together so I type with my middle joint of my middle finger, but I am very slow typing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:47 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Welcome Darren , what an inspirational attitude you have , good luck with your build , you have a large mini community down your way , there will be plenty of people to help you out , just ask away ,
enjoy the forum .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:09 pm 
848cc
848cc

thankyou much appreciated the forum is priceless.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:50 pm 
998cc
998cc

Darren there are a number of members that live nearby, timmy201 is the first that springs to mind and micool is another who are quite active on here, there are plenty of others down there that would assist if needed. There is the South Coast Minis group on Facebook or minisinthegong.com.au if you are trying to find any other locals.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:11 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

mark2man wrote:
Hi doug thankyou for kind words and support.my right hand has 1 finger and thumb missing my other 3 are curled and fused together so I type with my middle joint of my middle finger, but I am very slow typing

still probably quicker than my elderly father one finger typing style he has... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:04 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Welcome Darren,

Some people have a smooth run through life and then there are the others!!

I recently made contact with an old Tech College friend...Brett was featured in Roger Graef's reunion film and it just put a smile on my face the whole time I was watching it...so happy at what Brett has achieved and his super-positive attitude.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06hhgz8

Have you thought of mating a slush box to the Cooper S engine? It could then be suitable for modified driving controls :idea: 8)

All the Best, Mick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:58 am 
1098cc
1098cc

9YaTaH wrote:
Welcome Darren,

Some people have a smooth run through life and then there are the others!!

I recently made contact with an old Tech College friend...Brett was featured in Roger Graef's reunion film and it just put a smile on my face the whole time I was watching it...so happy at what Brett has achieved and his super-positive attitude.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06hhgz8

Have you thought of mating a slush box to the Cooper S engine? It could then be suitable for modified driving controls :idea: 8)

All the Best, Mick

I agree, the auto is a pretty good bit of kit. I have a mate up here who built one for his wife, worked 1310 with all the good bits. Was hilarious to watch it take off and chirp as it changed gears.
I applaud your determination. Take your time and enjoy the process. I too can relate, having being diagnosed with a brain tumour in the midst of a restoration of a MK2. I unfortunately rushed it (not knowing how long I was going to be around to finish it) and it wasn't my best work. I was so disappointed at the result I drove it once and then it sat at my fathers place for 10 years. In 2009 I pulled it out and restored it for the Muster in QLD. The car was the O'Shannesey, Keeffe, Olsen car from Bathurst., which went on to win multiple trophies in concourse events.
You will find many people on here willing to help. Best of luck and welcome aboard.

Greg Coates

1962 Mini Speed sports sedan
1968-71 ex-Peter Manton Shell car

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:11 pm 
848cc
848cc

Crikey mate, fair crack of the sauce bottle.

Mate of mine took his fingers ff on a saw...now uses a voice activation typing program on his puter, bugga can 'type' faster than me. Have you looked at them, or is that a defeatist attitude for you and you would rather tackle and overcome the situation. Hats off to you sire.